NEW PARTNER COURSES
Longniddry Golf Club , East Lothian
We are pleased to welcome Longniddry Golf Club as a partner course to Open Fairways
Formed in 1921, Longniddry Golf Club is situated on the south shore of the Firth of Forth, 18 miles east of Edinburgh. The course is a pleasant combination of woodland and links, with many holes featuring tree-lined fairways whilst the dry, sandy soil gives them a links consistency.
The laying out of the course was entrusted to Harry S Colt, one of the foremost architects of the day who was responsible for the design of numerous courses. There have been a number of alterations to Harry Colt's original layout e.g in 1936 James Braid was invited to advise on the second hole, following which a number of changes were made to the course, although none, it would appear, to the second! During the war, part of the course was ploughed up for food production, following which Philip Mackenzie Ross was invited to make good the damage and some of the changes were quite significant, with two holes by the sea being scrapped. More recently, Donald Steele was engaged to advise on the course architecture, particularly the bunkering.